The Degree …
An Associate in Arts-Agriculture degree can be earned by taking the same courses as are required in the Certificate Program and then completing the remainder of the 60 units in the required general education areas for graduation.
Contact Information …
Agriculture: Production Associate in Arts
The Agriculture major is designed for students who are looking at an Associate Degree from Porterville College as a terminal Degree as well as for students transferring to four-year schools with various Agriculture majors. The required classes represent the normal undergraduate core for transfer to the CSU system.
Graduates from a four-year school have a wide range of career options including but not limited to: Agriculture Business and Agriculture Production areas.
Program Learning Outcomes: Students will understand and describe the nature of leadership and the role of the manager as a leader; compare and contrast the role of agriculture in the economic structure of the country and the world; identify the Best Management Practices for sustained productivity of agricultural production; demonstrate technological competency by using technology effectively in the business environment of a workplace; explain the significance of international cooperation to the success of global Agribusiness.
At least twenty-four (24) units must be completed from the following courses:
Core Courses - 12 units required
- AGRI P101 - Introduction to Agribusiness 3 units
- AGRI P102 - Agricultural Economics 3 units
- AGRI P103 - Agricultural Sales 3 units
- AGRI P104 - Computer Applications in Agriculture 3 units
Optional Courses - 12 units
- AGRI P105 - Farm Accounting 3 units
- AGRI P106 - Introduction to Soil Science 3 units
- AGRI P107 - Agricultural Marketing 3 units
- AGRI P110 - Principles of Pesticide Use 3 units
- AGRI P117 - Plant Propagation/Production 3 units
- AGRI P131 - Introduction to Plant Science 3 units
- AGRI P132 - Agricultural Math 3 units
- AGRI P133 - Orchard Production and Management 3 units
- AGRI P134 - Vineyard Production and Management 3 units
- AGRI P135 - Irrigation Fundamentals 3 units
General Education: In addition to completing the major requirements, students must also complete one general education pattern:
- PC General Education Pattern
- IGETC Pattern
- CSU General Education Pattern
Electives as needed to complete the 60 minimum units to complete the degree.