We provide assistance for the creation of textbooks, instructional materials, and other printed information converted to alternate formats such as Audio, Braille, Large print, or Electronic text.
How can I receive alternate media services?
Students must be authorized to receive textbooks in an alternate format (i.e. e-text, Braille, large print) by their DSPS Counselor.
If this accommodation has been authorized for you, the following process must be utilized for receiving the alternate media:
- As soon as possible after registering for an upcoming semester, you will need to complete an Alternate Media Request Form.
- Book information can be obtained from the booklist, if available for that semester, online at the Porterville College Bookstore website.
- Provide the following for each book: Book title, author, ISBN#, edition # etc. for the form.
- Provide any class materials (ie: syllabus, handouts) you have available when turning in the Alternate Media Request forms.
- In addition to the Alternate Media Request form, you will be required to sign and agree to the Alternate Media Policies and Procedures.
- Once alternate media is received, formatted, and labeled, it will be available for the student to pick up online or from the Alternate Media staff.
- You must provide proof that you have purchased the book before the alternate media can be released to you. If you plan to purchase a used book, please contact the Alternate Media staff 559-791-2215 for instructions on obtaining a receipt.
When will I receive my materials?
- Generally, requests will be fulfilled within 10 business days.
- For books in Braille, requests can take up to 4-6 weeks via ATPC.
- If a book is not currently available in electronic format through any available resources, you have the following option:
- Give your book to the Alternate Media staff so it can be converted through a high-speed scanning process. If you choose this option, your book will have the binding removed, then manually rebound with plastic comb binding. With this option, you must own the book. The book cannot be returned to the bookstore.
If you have any questions regarding your alternate media formats or general questions you can contact the Alternate Media Staff by email @ email@example.com.