Porterville College Student Complaint Procedures
- The student(s) should contact the office of the staff member•s immediate supervisor/designee. At the time of contact, the student(s) should complete and submit a Level I "Initial Student Complaint Form", which will be available in the supervisor's office. The student(s) will be given an appointment to meet with the immediate supervisor/designee at this time. The appointment to meet shall be within ten (10) instructional days of notice of the occurrence of the alleged incident.
- At the time of the appointment, the student(s) and the immediate supervisor/designee will attempt to resolve the issue in a satisfactory manner. All Level I conferences may be tape recorded with the concurrence of both parties. (These recordings shall be the exclusive property of the College/District and shall become part of the complaint file.)
If the complainant fails to appear for the scheduled appointment, the Level I complaint process shall be terminated and the complainant shall have no further recourse.
- Subsequent to the student(s) meeting with the immediate supervisor/designee, the latter shall meet and confer with the staff member(s) involved in an effort to resolve the complaint. If possible, this meeting shall be within five (5) instructional days of the student(s) meeting with the immediate supervisor/designee.
- After meeting with student(s) and staff member(s), the immediate supervisor/designee shall notify the parties involved of his/her suggestion for resolution. If this resolution is acceptable to the complainant(s), the immediate supervisor/designee shall complete the Level I "Information /Disposition Form" and submit copies of it to the complainant(s), the staff member(s) and maintain the original in a suitable file.
- If the immediate supervisor/designee does not resolve the complaint to the complainant•s satisfaction, the complainant may, within ten (10) instructional days of the decision, file with the appropriate administrator a request to move the complaint to Level II.
- At the written request of the student(s), action on the complaint may be delayed until the term of the class is completed. In this event, the appropriate administrator may delay any further action on the complaint until the next semester.
- In the event of a group complaint, at most two (2) students shall be chosen to carry the complaint forward.
November 4, 2015