VACCINATION REQUIREMENT: To preserve the health and safety of all students, employees, and the public, KCCD requires everyone to wear a mask and show proof of COVID 19 Vaccination by 11/01/2021. Coronavirus Update: Read more »

Porterville College

For Instructors & Administrators

Teacher/Instructor Application Process

  1. Create an Account
  2. Apply: With the new account, apply directly through Careers at KCCD
  3. Materials:Applications will need resume, transcripts, and any relevant materials attached.
  4. HR Process: Once the application is received, PC will review and forward details for HR processing. TB clearance, DOJ clearance, and other pre-employment processes will need to be completed. HR will contact applicants for a meeting.
  5. Approval: Once HR process is complete, the employee will be issued an ID number and PC email account.
  6. Notification: HR will notify PC administration and staff about new dual enrollment instructor. PC will also notify Instructor and High School of status.

Important Links for Instructors and Administrators

FAQ’s for Instructors & Administrators

What is the difference between Dual and Concurrent Enrollment?

A dual enrollment course is a college course taught on a high school campus by a high school instructor, who meets state determined qualifications. A concurrent course is a college course taught on a high school campus by a college faculty member.

Can all students participate in the Fast Track to College Programs?

High School students must have a grade point average (GPA) minimum of 2.0. If the student is wishing to enroll in a class taught on the Porterville College Site, they must be enrolled as a Junior in high school. Pursuant to Education Code §76002 and Kern Community College District Board Policy 4A1F Special Admit (Dual/Concurrent) students may enroll in EMTC P050, FIRE P050, and FIRE P051 if they are at least 18 years of age at the time the course begins. Special Admit (Dual/Concurrent) students below the age of 18 years at the time of the course beginning will not be allowed to enroll.

What is an articulated course?

An articulated course is a course that awards students college credit by exam. Any high school wanting to offer an articulated course would need to have an articulation agreement on file with Porterville College. Porterville College uses CATEMA to manage the many articulated courses being taught. The instructor teaching an articulated course would be able to recommend college credit to their students through CATEMA by showing that students have received an “A” or “B” in the class and have also earned an “A”, “B”, or “C” on the final exam. The final exam must be the same exam used in the course at Porterville College. All letter grades would be submitted on CATEMA as a recommendation, and then Porterville College would determine if the students should have the grade posted to their college transcripts.

What is FERPA and why is it important?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also called the Buckley Amendment). This act sets privacy standards for student educational records. Porterville College cannot release student's information to anyone, even parents, unless a FERPA has been submitted by the student to our Admissions & Records office.

What is CATEMA?

CATEMA is Porterville College’s articulation management system. If you need to use CATEMA then you are teaching an articulated course. This means that your school has an articulation agreement with Porterville College to offer this course. This agreement allows your students, who are taking your articulated course, to possibly earn college credit through passing the class with an “A” or “B”, and passing the final exam with an “A”, “B”, or “C”. The final exam must be the same exam that is used in the Porterville College course. Lastly, all grades must be letter grades, no passing “p” or fail “f” grades, earned in the course and recorded in CATEMA. What you record in CATEMA is your letter grade recommendation to us, which we then will decide to approve and record on the student’s college transcript. Porterville College also holds regular CATEMA training sessions each semester to help any instructors who are teaching an articulated course better understand CATEMA. If you are wanting this training please contact your campus’ Dual Enrollment lead.

How long do articulation agreements last?

Each course is on a case by case scenario. Please contact Porterville College’s Program Director or the High School Administrator for information.

Who should I contact if I want to offer an articulated course or get CATEMA training?

Please contact the Program Director regarding articulated courses or CATEMA training.

Does the high school provide textbooks?

  1. If the high school desires to provide textbooks for the students, then it is school’s responsibility to make arrangements to acquire such textbooks.
  2. The high school has the option to utilize the Porterville College Bookstore for ordering the textbooks if needed. Contact the Porterville College Bookstore for more information.
  3.  The high school dual enrollment instructor must connect with the discipline faculty and/or division chair at Porterville College to discuss textbook options to ensure consistency and applicability.
  4.  The high school dual enrollment instructor has the option to use the same text as used by the PC instructor for the same class.
  5.  The high school dual enrollment instructor also the option to select another textbook that he/she feels will meet the requirements and intentions of the course outline of record. If an alternative/different text is preferred by the dual enrollment instructor, he/she should consult with the discipline faculty and/or division chair at PC for feedback on options.
    a. The dual enrollment instructor will need to identify the desired textbook and contact the publisher and request an instructor/desk copy of a textbook to review.
    b. If the alternative text will be used, then the high school has the option (not required) to connect with the Porterville College Bookstore to order the texts for the students if needed.
    c. For textbook currency, most universities and colleges prefer textbooks editions that are 5 years or newer.