Porterville College

For Parents

If your child is taking an Early College course, you probably have a few questions about the program and what it will look like for your child. Below are some general pieces of information about the different Early College program options at Porterville College along with some further information located in the drop-down menu below.


What is a FERPA form and why is it important?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (also called the Buckley Amendment). This act sets privacy standards for student educational records. Porterville College cannot release student's information to anyone, even parents, unless a FERPA has been submitted by the student to our Admissions & Records office. This form needs to be resubmitted every year while the student is here at Porterville College. This form can be found on the left hand side of the screen on the side bar under Important Documents. 

If my child is struggling in a class what resources are available for them at Porterville College?

Porterville College has many resources available for Dual Enrollment students. If your child is struggling in a course please have them visit the Porterville College Library or our Learning Resource Center which provides academic support for students through peer and faculty tutorial services and further assistance through the Writing and Math Centers. If they are having further difficulty in a course after utilizing these services they can contact one of our school counselors in the Counseling Center on the Porterville College campus for further assistance. 

How can I find out how my child is doing in their Dual Enrollment course?

They can print out their unofficial transcript on InsidePC. For their official transcript, they can request their transcript online through the TranscriptsPlus. If they are uncomfortable requesting their official transcript, they can submit a Transcript Request form to Admissions & Records office. This form is located on the left hand side of the screen under Important Documents.

My child doesn't want to take a course they are registered for, what should they do?

They can drop a course by either alerting their instructor, meeting with one of their high school counselors, or filling out a drop form with one of our counselors in Student Services. There are specific drop dates each semester that enable students to withdraw from courses without having the course posted to their college transcripts. It is the student’s responsibility to alert the instructor and/or counselor(s) in a reasonable timeframe so that they can drop the student from the course. On the left hand side of the screen, under Important Documents, is the current Academic Calendar which shows the specific drop dates for this academic year. If your child’s course starts earlier or later than the standard college course their drop date may be different than what is shown. If this is the case for your child, please advise them to seek their specific drop date from a counselor.

If my child took a Dual Enrollment course and received a D or F can they take a different dual enrollment course next semester?

No. If your child received a D or F in a Dual Enrollment course they will not be able to take a new Dual Enrollment course until they retake the failed course and receive a passing grade.

How often can my child retake a Dual Enrollment course?

They can only retake a Dual Enrollment course three times.

What can my child do if they took the Placement Test but are not happy with their results?

If you or your child do not agree with their Placement Test scores they can challenge their placement by taking the Challenge Exam. They will need their Student ID and their Placement Test scores in order to challenge their placement. Please contact the Learning Resource Center to make an appointment..

My child received an email regarding Early Alert, what is this?

Early Alert is a program Porterville College uses that alerts students if they are not doing well in a course. The email your child received is from our Counseling Center because we were informed by their instructor that they were struggling in their course. Please have your child contact the Early Alert counselor to make an appointment where they will discuss the class with them and share the different resources available for them to use at Porterville College.

* Please note all forms can be found on the left hand side of the screen under Important Documents
High School Dual Enrollment Form: This is the form that all High School Students need to submit to Admissions & Records when they are requesting to take a Dual Enrollment course. This form needs to be submitted each semester. 
FERPA Form: This form is important because Porterville College cannot release any information about a student (regardless of if they are a minor) to anyone unless this form has been submitted annually to Admissions & Records. This form has to be filled out and submitted by the student. 
Progress Report Request Form: A student will submit this form to their instructor to determine their current progress in that course. 
Transcript Request Form: A student will submit this form to Admissions & Records to receive their official transcript. Please note, this request can also be made online on our Transcripts page. 
Kern Community College District