Porterville College


DREAMer’s Success Center

Click here to visit our Announcements & Events Page!

CA Dream Act Application Process

Applying for the CA Dream Act can be confusing, but the staff in the Financial Aid Office will assist you through the process.

Apply for the CA Dream Act

Have questions? Check out the CA Dream Act FAQ's.

Porterville College provides a safe and welcoming environment for undocumented, AB540, and/or DACA students and supporters. Our goal is to provide guidance by raising awareness of the laws as well as the rights and opportunities available for undocumented students in the United States, specifically California. Through the DREAMer’s Success Center, we hope to inform undocumented students of the information needed to apply for college in addition to the resources available to help fund their education.

Please Note: "Regardless of what happens at the federal level, state financial aid for Dreamers remains legal in California. A Dreamer student does not need to be DACA-certified to be eligible for a public education or state financial aid. Losing DACA status will not affect most state financial aid. The information provided via the California Dream Act Application is used solely to determine eligibility for state financial aid and is not shared with the federal government or used for immigration enforcement purposes. The CSAC will protect this information to the fullest extent of the law." ---Lupita Cortez Alcala, CSAC Director

The Dream Act Application is not an application for federal financial aid. Students eligible to file the FAFSA must do so online at www.fafsa.gov. Students should not complete both applications. The Dream Act Application is online at www.caldreamact.org.

AB 540, signed into law on October 12, 2001, authorizes any student, including undocumented students who meet specific criteria to pay in-state tuition at California’s public colleges and universities (e.g. California Community College, California State University, and University of California). Non-resident students are required to pay “out-of-state” or “non-resident” tuition fees to attend California’s public colleges and universities. These fees are much higher than “in-state” or “resident” tuition fees. Any student, except a person in nonimmigrant status, who meets the requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at all public colleges and universities in California if they meet the following requirements:

  • Satisfaction of either of the following:
    • High school attendance in California for three or more years, OR
    • Attainment of credits earned in California from a California high school equivalent to three or more years of full-time high school coursework and a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or a combination of those schools.
  • Graduated or will graduate from a California high school or attainment of General Education Development (GED), High School Equivalency Test (HiSET), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), AND
  • Will register or enroll in an accredited and qualifying California college or university, AND If applicable, complete (d) an affidavit to legalize immigration status as soon as you are eligible, AND
  • Do not hold a valid non-immigrant visa (F, J, H, L, A, B, C, D, E, etc.)*

“California Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Request”

You must obtain, complete, and submit the AB 540 Affidavit to the Admissions Office when you register/enroll. You may be required to submit additional documentation such as high school transcripts and appropriate records of high school graduation or the equivalent.

SB 68 will allow students to count full-time attendance at a California Community College, Adult School, Department of Rehabilitation and Correction School, High School, or combination of these schools to meet the 3 years required to be eligible for in-state tuition. Students who have three years of high school coursework can also count attendance at an elementary school. Quick Fact Sheet

  • Cal Grant,Chafee Grant, Middle Class Scholarship
  • UC Grants, State University Grants
  • California College Promise Grant (formerly known as BOG Fee Waiver)
  • Some University scholarships
  • Some private scholarships administered by campuses

Application deadline for all Dreamer Cal Grants and most of the other aid listed above is March 2.

Dreamer Cal Grants include:

  • High School Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • CCC Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
  • Cal Grant C
  • High School Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
    • Meet AB 540 requirements
    • Graduate high school or equivalent (GED, CHSPE) after July 1, 2013
    • Submit a high school GPA
  • CCC Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant A & B
    • Meet AB 540 requirements
    • Under 28 by Dec 31st of the award year
    • Attend a community college in the academic year immediately before the award year
    • Submit a community college GPA of 24+ units (2.40 or higher)
    • Include a 4-year college on your Dream App
  • Cal Grant C
    • Meet AB 540 requirements
    • Enroll in an occupational or technical program
    • Indicate an occupational or technical program on Q#30 of your Dream App

You must meet the application deadline and all applicable eligibility requirements to qualify for any financial aid listed above.

Community College League of California

See the Community College League of California page for a wide variety of helpful resources for undocumented students.

Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS)

See the EOPS page for helpful resources for students who participate in the program, including resources from CARE and NextUp. DREAMers are highly encourage to apply.

Free Immigration Legal Services for PC Students and Staff


Community Resources

Transfer Resources

Career Resources

Other Resources

Contact the Counselor for Undocumented/DREAMer students at pcdreamers@portervillecollege.edu 

DREAMers Success Center Disclaimer
The Virtual DREAMER's Success Center is Porterville College's efforts to provide information about certain policies and how they affect the life of undocumented students and their family. However, all information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should NOT substitute legal advice from an accredited attorney. Immigration is a constantly evolving area of law you are encouraged to seek legal advice with an attorney to discuss your facts to determine if there have been any recent changes to immigration policies or laws. Porterville College will hold NO liability for the use or interpretation of information found in this website. The information is provided “as is” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied