Porterville College

PC Library

Financial Aid Application Process

Applying for financial aid can be confusing, but the staff in the Financial Aid Office will assist you through the process.

Apply for Aid

COVID Vaccination Grant

Here is what you will need to fill out your FAFSA:

  • Your FSA ID - a user name and password, will allow you to sign your FAFSA electronically (you will need one for yourself and one for your parent, if applicable). If you do not have a FSA ID, click HERE to get one.
  • Your Social Security Card
  • Your Driver's License
  • Your last year's income tax return information
  • Your parent(s) last year's income tax return information (if applicable)
  • Current bank statements and investment records
  • Any records of untaxed income received such as welfare benefits, Social Security benefits and child support
  • List of colleges you are interested in attending
  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a US Citizen)

Keep these records! The financial aid office will require supporting documents for students that may be selected by U.S. Department of Education to be "verified".

Special Circumstances

Please contact the Financial Aid Office for any help that you may need. Below are some resources to answer questions you may have.


Dependency Status

Dependency Override: Students petitioning the Financial Aid Office for consideration to change status from dependent to independent due to extenuating circumstances, need to return a completed Petition for Dependency Override to the Financial Aid Office along with appropriate documentation.


Making Changes to my FAFSA

In cases where family income is expected to be substantially less than previous year's family income, a student may request review of family contribution and financial aid eligibility. Complete and return the Special Condition form to the Financial Aid Office along with the appropriate documentation.


Who May Apply for Financial Aid?

  • be a US Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • be registered with Selective Services (if required)
  • be attending a participating school
  • be working towards a degree or certificate
  • be making satisfactory academic progress
  • not owe a refund on a Federal grant or be in default on a federal education loan
  • have a financial need
  • In addition: students enrolled in school less than half-time may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants. 
    Exceptions: Conviction of drug distribution or possession may make a student ineligible.