Porterville College

PC Library

Financial Aid Programs

State Programs

For state programs, you must be a California resident.

CC Promise Grant permits enrollment fees to be waived for eligible California residents.
The EOPS program provides students with Academic Advising, Counseling, Transfer Information, Peer Advisers, Book Awards, Grants, and Meal Tickets. For more information, see our EOPS section of our website.
A Cal Grant is money for college you don’t have to pay back. To qualify, you must apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by the deadline and meet the eligibility and financial requirements as well as any minimum GPA requirements. Cal Grants can be used at any University of California, California State University or California Community College, as well as qualifying independent and career colleges or technical schools in California.

Cal Grant is offered by the State of California and is open to California residents attending a college or university in California. The grant has an annual application deadline of March 2 for the following academic year, and is based on need, income and GPA. For California Community College students only, a second deadline of September 2nd has been established. Students must file a FAFSA or Dream Act application and a GPA Verification prior to the deadline, in order to be considered. The Cal Grant is based on residency, proof of need, income, GPA, and other ‘point’ based criteria. Income and asset ceilings, determined by California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), will be checked annually for all new and continuing students.
If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.
The Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG) is a new grant which began in Fall 2018 for Cal Grant B and C recipients attending a California Community College full-time (12 units or more). Students will be automatically reviewed for eligibility if they meet the eligibility requirements below. The SSCG provides students with an additional $1298 – $4000 annually depending on the number of units they enroll in. A student must complete a FAFSA or a Dream act application.
Students attending a UC, CSU or CCC who have dependent children, receiving more than half of their support from you and who are under the age of 18, might be eligible to receive the Student With Dependent Children Grant (https://www.csac.ca.gov/students-dependents), an access award of up to $6,000 for eligible Cal Grant B or up to $4,000 for eligible Cal Grant C recipients. The award amounts will be prorated to be consistent with the students’ enrollment status: full-time, three-quarter-time, half-time.

The California Community Colleges Finish Line Scholars Program supports students to ensure they stay on track with their education and complete a degree, certificate, or transfer to a four-year college or university.

The program is intended to help eliminate regional educational gaps through the distribution of emergency financial aid to students facing unexpected hardships and scholarships to students who are well on their way toward a finish line goal of transferring to a college or university or completing a certificate or degree.

To access DREAM Act information, visit the DREAMers Success Center

Federal Programs

Federal Aid Programs require that a student have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.

The Pell Grant program is the largest federal student grant program. Pell grant is the foundation to a student's financial aid package. Pell is an entitlement program, which means, if the student meets all requirements, they will receive a Pell Grant. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government. Students are eligible to receive a Pell Grant at Porterville College for a maximum time frame of 90 attempted units based on academic progress. Attendance at other institutions will be considered in determining eligibility whether or not financial aid was received.

Where do I apply?

To get a Pell grant, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Some Requirements

  • Federal Pell Grant regulations require enrollment in an eligible program leading to a degree, certificate, or transfer requirements.
  • Federal Pell Grant payments will be adjusted based upon your enrollment status at the time each payment is processed. However, if you drop units at any time during the semester, you may not be eligible to receive further payment and/or you may owe all or a portion of your first payment to the institution and/or the U.S. Department of Education. See Return to Title IV Alert on homepage of Financial Aid website.
  • Enrollment status includes only eligible units as outlined in the Terms of Agreement/Satisfactory Academic Progress Regulations found in the Financial Aid section of the site.

How much will I receive?

The amount of your Federal Pell Grant award has been calculated from the information reported on your Student Aid Report (SAR) and is based upon your enrollment in 12 or more eligible units each semester.

When will I receive payment?

The Fall & Spring payments will be calculated based on enrollment one week prior to the beginning of the semester.

Payments will be issued on the Friday prior to the start of the semester. ½ of the award is issued in the Fall, ½ of the award is issued in the Spring. There are 2 (two) disbursements each semester. See below

Important Disbursement Information for Pell Grants

Pell Grants are disbursed in two payments each semester (first disbursement: 50%, second disbursement: 50%) in accordance with the disbursement schedule. The amount of your disbursement is based on the number of units you are actively enrolled in 7 days prior to the disbursement date.

  • If you drop units, your second disbursement will be adjusted/reduced/canceled.
  • If you drop units, you may be in overpayment. You will be notified of the overpayment by mail.
  • If you are not enrolled full-time, your Pell Grant will be prorated as follows:
    • 12 or more units, No adjustment, 100% of award
    • 9 - 11.5 units, 75% of award letter amount (Semester Award x 0.75)
    • 6 - 8.5 units, 50% of award letter amount (Semester Award x 0.50)
    • 0.5 - 5.5 units, Contact a Financial Aid Technician 
SEOG program is designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. Eligibility is based on students/family contribution and resources. (Annual amount: $500-$1500)
BIA grants are provided each year to help eligible American Indian Students. To be eligible for a BIA educational grant, a student must be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo or Aleut heritage, as certified by tribal agencies served by the Bureau of Indian, and be enrolled or plan to enroll as an undergraduate student on a full-time basis. It is important for students to apply early to meet the deadline dates set by various area offices.
FWS program provides jobs for students who have financial need and will earn a portion of their educational expenses. Award amounts are determined by the student's need and the number of hours that can reasonably be handled with the course load selected. Students are limited to a maximum of 19 hours per week when school is in session. If funds are available students may be eligible to work the summer session.
To learn more about Federal Direct Loans, please visit our Direct Loan page.

PC Incentives

It's a great time to apply to PC! Besides financial aid programs available, there are great incentives to becoming a PC student, including: