Students have many different goals in mind when they enroll at Porterville College. Some plan to earn a certificate to enhance their job skills while others want to earn a two-year degree and/or transfer to a four-year university.
Porterville College offers the following types of certificate and degree programs:
Associate in Arts for Transfer & Associate in Science for Transfer / (AA-T) (AS-T)
- intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not a particular campus or major.
Associate in Arts (AA) & Associate in Science (AS)
- Can be used to obtain necessary skills for a range of possible careers or they may be used to transfer to a four-year institution.
Certificates of Achievement
- Certificates of Achievement represent a well-defined pattern of learning experiences designed to develop certain capabilities that may be oriented to career or GE.
- Certificates of Achievement are awarded to students and represent a well-defined pattern of learning experiences of at least 12 units designed to prepare for a specific career or General Education.
Job Skills Certificates
- Awarded upon the satisfactory completion of coursework in a specific area of study. Job Skill Certificates are not included on transcripts.
Certificate of Competency
A noncredit Certificate of Competency means a document confirming that a student enrolled in a noncredit educational program of noncredit courses has demonstrated achievement in a set of competencies that prepares students to progress in a career path or to undertake degree- applicable or nondegree-applicable credit courses.