Porterville College


Child Development Teacher Permit (CA)

Program Learning Outcomes: Supporting Early Learning and Development; planning and guiding early learning and development; creating and maintaining program policies and practices; advancing the early childhood profession.

Twenty-four (24) units in child development courses required.

Twelve (12) units must be from the core courses.

Twelve (12) additional units required in child development support courses.

Sixteen (16) units in general education.

Experience: Child Development Permit: Teacher as required for employment in funded child care programs. State Department of Education, Title V, DSS (Department of Social Services).

Core Courses (12 units required)

DSS1 Child, Growth and Development (3 units)

CHDV P223 - Child Growth and Development  3 units

PSYC P223 - Child Psychology  3 units

DSS2 Child, Family and Community (3 units)

CHDV P122 - Child, Family and Community  3 units

DSS3 Program and Curriculum (6 units)

CHDV P144 - Introduction to Curriculum  3 units

CHDV P143* - Practicum/Field Experience 3 units

*Includes laboratory

Support Courses (select 12 additional units)

CHDV P117 - Teaching in a Diverse Society 3 units

CHDV P119 - Health, Safety and Nutrition (DSS7) 3 units

CHDV P142* - Principles and Practices of Teaching Young Children 3 units

CHDV P239 - Observation and Assessment 3 units

*Includes laboratory

Experience: At least three hours per day for a minimum 175 days in a four-year period.

Plus: A total of 16 general education units which must apply toward the associate arts degree. One course is required from each of the four general education categories: (English, social science, humanities/fine arts, math or science).

For the Child Development Teacher Permit the student must apply through the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. You can receive evaluation assistance on your permit application to make sure the application is complete at Tulare County Office of Education in Visalia, and they will also submit the application to the State Commission on Teacher Credentialing. For information on California’s requirements, call the Commission on Teacher Credentialing at (888) 921-2682 or visit their website.