Porterville College

Student Handbook

Services for Students

The Admissions Office, located in the Academic Center (AC), room 112, is responsible for the admission and registration of PC students. Students may also add and drop classes in the Admissions Office, file petitions for academic renewal, verify enrollment for insurance purposes and a variety of other records related services.

The Transfer Center provides assistance in all aspects of the transfer process including admissions application workshops, transfer advising, Transfer Admissions Guarantees (TAGS), and a catalog library. In addition various university representatives are available throughout the semester. Their campus visits, dates and times are coordinated via the Center. Student computers that have access to all 4-year schools throughout the state and nation are available to all students. Students wishing to meet representatives visiting Porterville College can schedule an appointment by calling the counseling department at (559) 791-2329. Students may check out catalogs for University of California (UC) and California State University (CSU). Contact the Transfer Counselor in AC-126 for more information.

The services of counselors are available to all students. Counselors assist students in the preparation of their academic programs and provide guidance in the solution of personal, vocational, and educational concerns. The counselors are located in AC-126.

If you are looking for a full or part-time job, the job placement advisor, located in AC-126, can assist you in obtaining employment off campus with local businesses, industries and individuals.

Limited child care is available for children of PC students at the Child Care Center located on the east side of the campus. To be placed on the waiting list for this service, you must be carrying a minimum of 12 credits which includes a parenting or child development class. The child must be at least 3 months old and must meet state mandated medical standards.

The Disability Resource Center, located in AC-115, provides a variety of services for students who are physically limited or learning disabled. These services include priority registration, mobility assistance, learning disability assessment, note taking, and test facilitation. Students who require information regarding services for learning, psychological or physical disabilities may call 791-2215 for assistance.

Located next to the Forum, the Wellness Center houses the office of the college nurse. Health services are provided here and various activities that focus on health issues are sponsored through-out the academic year and coordinated by the nurse.

Financial Aid: Porterville College has an extensive program of scholarships, grants, and support services to assist in meeting students’ educational costs with federal and state aid programs. Each program differs in the type of aid awarded and qualification criteria. Awards are based on student financial need. Financial aid information and applications can be obtained from the Financial Aid Office located in AC-103.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS): EOPS provides services to students who are educationally and economically disadvantaged. It is funded by the state of California and the local community college district. Eligible students may receive grants, book awards, school supplies, academic and peer advising. For more information on how to qualify, stop by the EOPS office located in AC-126.
Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE): CARE students must meet EOPS eligibility, have a child under 14 years of age at the time of admission, receiving TANF (formerly AFDC), and be a single head of household who is at least 18 years of age. Assistance received includes book awards, meal tickets, supplies, and child care grants. The CARE office is located in AC-126.

A wide variety of activities and events are provided for students throughout the year. Students can also participate in a number of clubs and organizations. Information regarding these can be obtained from the ASPC office located in Student Center. This office also coordinates student government - known as the Associated Students of Porterville College. Your involvement in student government and all the activities, events, and clubs is encouraged.

December 9, 2015

Kern Community College District