Porterville College

PC Library

Government Assistance

Federal Programs:

Federal Aid Programs require that a student have a high school diploma or a General Education Development (GED) certificate.

Pell Grant

The Pell Grant program is the largest federal student grant program. Pell grant is the foundation to a student's financial aid package. Pell is an entitlement program, which means, if the student meets all requirements, they will receive a Pell Grant. Eligibility for a Pell Grant is determined by the federal government. Students are eligible to receive a Pell Grant at Porterville College for a maximum time frame of 90 attempted units based on academic progress. Attendance at other institutions will be considered in determining eligibility whether or not financial aid was received.

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

SEOG program is designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students who qualify for additional assistance. Eligibility is based on students/family contribution and resources. (Annual amount: $500-$1500)

Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) Grants:

BIA grants are provided each year to help eligible American Indian Students. To be eligible for a BIA educational grant, a student must be at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo or Aleut heritage, as certified by tribal agencies served by the Bureau of Indian, and be enrolled or plan to enroll as an undergraduate student on a full time basis. It is important for students to apply early to meet the deadline dates set by various area offices.


Federal Work Study Program (FWS):

FWS program provides jobs for students who have financial need and will earn a portion of their educational expenses. Award amounts are determined by the student's need and the number of hours that can reasonably be handled with the course load selected. Students are limited to a maximum of 19 hours per week when school is in session. If funds are available students may be eligible to work the summer session.

Other Student Campus Employment

Other student employment opportunities are available at various Porterville College campus locations. Funding for these student employment positions is different from the Federal Work Study program and positions vary each year.


Porterville College currently does not participate in student loans.

State Programs

(You must be a California resident)

California Community Colleges Board of Governors Wavier (BOGW):

Each semester students are assessed a fee of $46.00 per credit. The Board of Governors Waiver provides a student with three methods to determine eligibility.

Method A: At the time of enrollment the student and/or parents must be recipients of AFDC (Aid of Families with Dependent Children) or SSI/SSP (Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Program) or General Assistance/General Relief.

Method B: Students must meet the income scale to be considered. $35,325 for a family of four (4) and $6,030 for each additional family member. Students wishing to apply for Method A or B may obtain the BOGW form from the Financial Aid Office.

Method C: Students must have a Student Aid Application on file in the Financial Aid Office with an unmet need of at least $1,288.00 to be considered for this wavier.

Extended Opportunity Program and Services-EOPS:

The EOPS program provides students with Academic Advising, Counseling, Transfer Information, Peer Advisers, Book Awards, Grants, and Meal Tickets. Students must be attending full time (12 units), BOGW A or B eligible, and be academically disadvantaged as described in the Title V of the EOPS regulations.

Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (C.A.R.E.):

CARE students must qualify for EOPS, be single head of household, be a recipient of Temporary Aid for Needy Families (TANF), and have a child 14 years of age or younger. The program provides academic advising, counseling, career assessment, career motivation workshops, and monthly workshops.

Cal Grant Program:

Cal Grant A can be used for tuition and fees at public and private colleges as well as some occupational and career colleges at university level.  At CSU and UC schools, this Cal Grant covers up to the full system wide fees of $5,472 and $12,192, respectively.  If you are attending a private college, it pays up to $8,322 towards tuition and fees.  To get this Cal Grant, you need to be working toward a bachelor’s degree. Cal Grant A is not available at community colleges.

Cal Grant B provides low-income students with a living allowance and assistance with tuition and fees. Most first-year students receive an allowance of up to $1,648.00 for books and living expenses. After the freshman year, Cal Grant B also helps pay tuition and fees in the same amount as a Cal Grant A. For a Cal Grant B, your coursework must be for at least one academic year.

Cal Grant C awards help pay for tuition and training costs at occupational or career colleges. This $547.00 award is for books, tools and equipment. To qualify, you must enroll in a vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, private college, or a vocational school. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of your program.

California CHAFEE Grant for Foster Youth:

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You do not have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university, career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

To qualify: Students must be a current or former foster youth and not have reached their 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The California Department of Social Services will determine your foster youth eligibility status. In addition, students must have financial need, enroll in at least half time in an eligible school, the program of study must be at least one academic year long and the student must attend class regularly and get good grades.

Kern Community College District