Porterville College

Students on campus

Academic Counseling

What kind of counseling services are available at PC?

Porterville College has counselors to help you choose the courses which best suit your individual interests and career goals. Throughout the year, counselors teach courses in college survival, study skills, career development, overcoming math anxiety, and success groups. It is important that you see a counselor at least once per term to evaluate your academic progress. Your counselor will be able to answer any questions you have about course requirements, degree requirements or schedules.

It is strongly encouraged that transfer students meet with a counselor early in their enrollment. Many four-year colleges and universities have varying requirements. A counselor can guide you toward appropriate coursework preparation. To make an advising appointment, the counseling center is open Monday-Thursday 7:30-5:30 (and until 6:30 pm on Tuesdays and Wednesdays), and on Fridays from 08:00-12:00 p.m. You can either stop by the counseling center in AC-126 or call 791-2329.

Walk-in advising days and times are available by calling 791-2329. On these days, students can be seen by a counselor, without an appointment, on a first-come, first-serve basis. If you desire an appointment to see a counselor please make an advising appointment by calling 791-2329 or go Online at "Advising & Counseling" .

The services of counselors are available to all students at Porterville College. Counselors can assist students in the preparation of their academic programs, discuss career opportunities available depending on their major, and provide guidance in the solution of personal problems.

We hope the information we have compiled will enable you to get closer to your educational goal—whether it be graduating from Porterville College with an associate degree, transferring to a four-year college, obtaining a certificate, improving your vocational skills, learning English as a Foreign Language. or taking courses for personal and professional growth.

We have information on how to choose a major and offer you an array of links that will provide you with many resources to get the information you need to learn more about yourself.  It will also address what majors connect you to certain types of careers.  If you already know what you want to study, it will guide you to the courses you'll need to take to obtain an AA or AS degree as well as the courses that meet the lower division requirements for that major at a particular four-year college.

Please note that new students must be matriculated in order to receive priority registration each semester. Matriculation is a process that acquaints new students to the college services and programs so that they can make informed decisions on their educational goals.  In order to receive priority registration, students are required to complete the following four matriculation components:

  • Assessment
  • Orientation
  • Academic Advising
  • Educational Study Plan

You must submit an admissions form before you register for assessment. After Assessment, you must attend an Orientation session, at the end of which you will receive your assessment results. The fourth step will then be to set up an advising appointment.

Porterville College's open admission policy admits anyone who is over 18 years of age or who has earned a high school diploma or equivalent.  For more information on college procedures and programs, see the General Catalog.

Visit us or Apply Online. We welcome you to a challenging academic experience. Request information at (559) 791-2200.

 DIY (Do It Yourself) Advising 


Room: AC-126 (Student Services)
Phone: 559.791.3663
Phone: 559.791.2329

April 26, 2016

Kern Community College District