Porterville College

Students on campus


Community College Enrollment Fees

Enrollment fees are set by the state at $46 per unit at the time of publication.

Non-Resident Tuition Fee

Non-resident students are required by state law to pay tuition in addition to enrollment fees. The tuition fee for non-resident students is $211 per unit up to a maximum of 15 units per semester. There is a capital outlay fee for $21 per unit , maximum of 15 units per semester for non-residents.

California Non-resident Tuition Exemption for Eligible California High School Graduates

A law was passed by the Legislature in 2001 known as “AB 540.” Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying non-resident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).

  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Students who are nonimmigrants [for example, those who hold F (student) visas, B (visitor) visas, etc.] are not eligible for this exemption. The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law. Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration. Non-resident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of non-resident tuition, but they will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be “non-residents.” AB540 does not provide student financial aid eligibility for undocumented alien students. These students remain ineligible for state and federal financial aid. However, the California Dream Act makes financial aid possible for the AB540 students. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid for details.

Procedures For Requesting This Exemption From Non-resident Tuition

To request this exemption, a student must complete the form in the Office of Admissions and Records. Students may be required to submit additional documentation. Contact the Office of Admissions and Records if you have questions.

Student Health Fee

A $12 student health fee has been authorized by the Board of Trustees for all students attending classes on the main campus during the fall or spring semester. The fee is $10 for summer session. The purpose of the fee is to make health-center services available to all students and to provide greater health-care educational programming.

Health Fee Exemption Procedures

The following health fee exemptions are authorized by law:

  1. Students who depend exclusively upon prayer for healing in accordance with the teachings of a bona fide religious sect, denomination, or organization.
  2. Students who are attending a community college under an approved apprenticeship training program.

Exemption form is available in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Student Center Fee

Porterville College students shall be assessed $1 per unit for courses on the main campus up to a maximum of $5 per fall semester and $5 per spring semester. The fee shall not be assessed for summer session enrollment.

Course Audit Fee

Students who have been admitted to the college may enroll in courses as auditors with the permission of the instructor and College President or designee, and subject to the following provisions:

  1. Priority shall be given to students who wish to take the course for credit.
  2. A student in a course shall not be permitted to change from audit to credit status nor from credit to audit.
  3. The cost to audit a class is $15.00 per credit. (Students enrolled in 10 or more units will not be charged this fee.)
  4. A course audit shall be approved under only one of the following conditions:
    • Participation by audit serves a specific educational purpose necessary to achieve the student’s educational goal.
    • Participation by audit benefits other registered participants in performance arts or intercollegiate athletics courses.

Course Audit forms are available in the Office of Admissions and Records beginning on the first day of class.

Parking Fees

Parking on the main campus is restricted to parking permit holders during the academic year, including summer session. A semester parking permit is $20 and a summer permit is $10. Parking permits are not required on weekends. Visitor parking and handicapped parking is enforced at all times.


It is estimated that the cost of books and supplies will be $650 to $850 per semester for a 15-unit schedule. Books may be purchased or rented at the college bookstore which is open year-round except during college holidays.

Enrollment and Tuition Refunds

Enrollment and tuition fees will be credited to the student account, when applicable, for program changes through the first two weeks of the fall or spring semester. In courses other than semester length, the Office of Admissions and Records should be consulted regarding withdrawal and refund deadlines.

To receive the enrollment or tuition refund, a student must apply for the refund in the Office of Admissions and Records before the end of the second consecutive semester of non-attendance (Summer session is not considered a semester).

Should the college cancel a class in which a student is enrolled and there is a reduction in units which results in a lower fee, the student should request a refund through the Office of Admissions and Records.

Student Health Fee Refund

Health fee refunds will be credited to the student account when applicable, if all classes on the main campus are dropped and an enrollment fee credit is generated by the transaction.

To receive the health fee refund, a student must apply for the refund in the Office of Admissions and Records before the end of the second consecutive semester of non-attendance. (Summer session is not considered a semester.)

January 28, 2016

Kern Community College District