What is the PC ALERT System?
- Porterville College's emergency notification system, called PC ALERT, will enable us to communicate with you quickly in the event of an emergency. The PC ALERT system will alert and provide pertinent information and instructions to students, faculty and staff via voice, e-mail and text messages to the phone numbers and e-mail addresses on file. The system uses CONNECT-Ed, which is a web-based mass notification system that sends emergency messages instantly and simultaneously to telephones, mobile phones, wireless devices and email addresses uploaded into the CONNECT-Ed system by KCCD. The PC ALERT System can also send a text message to your cell phone. Standard text messaging rates will apply.
In what situations will a PC ALERT be sent?
- A PC ALERT will be sent only to inform you of a very serious incident or situation, a campus or site closing, or some other event that requires rapid, wide-scale notification to the community. Examples of such events would be a campus shooting, bomb threat, hazardous materials spills, flood, earthquake, or fire. Test messages will also be sent approximately once a semester.
How do I submit my contact information?
- Your contact information is automatically loaded into the Connect-Ed system using the data you have previously provided for admissions and registration and stored in our database. It is important that you keep this information up-to-date so that you will receive Alert messages.
How do I update my contact information?
- Log into MyBanWeb and select Personal Information from the menu. You can update your contact information at any time.
What contact data should I check and update?
- You should check and update your Home and Cellular phone numbers and not Opt Out of receiving Alert text messages.
Is my contact information secure?
- The contact information submitted for the PC ALERT system will be kept private and confidential. It will not be shared with other entities, but used only by Porterville College to communicate with you in the case of a school closing or emergency.
I received a PC ALERT voice message but missed the information. What should I do?
- While on the call, you can replay the message by pressing the star key (*) at the end of the message. You may also check your email to locate the link for that message.
I received a PC ALERT message on my cell phone but it kept looping/repeating. Why?
- The system does its best to detect whether it has reached a live person or an answering machine. Sometimes loud ambient noises may cause the system to loop. If this happens, use the mute feature on your phone or move to a quieter location to prevent the message from looping or repeating.
I see a caller ID display of 888-522-3932. Who is this?
- When Porterville College sends out a call using the PC ALERT System, it will always display caller ID information and the phone number 888-522-3932.
What number will text messages come from?
- PC ALERT text messages will come from 23177 or 63079.