Non-Traditional credit

Note: In addition to the information below, please see the following document from the Kern Community College District regarding its policy (4C1, p. 109-114) on Credit for Prior Learning: Section 4 Policy


Four forms of non-traditional college credit which a student may request to be added to the Porterville College transcript are:

  1. Advanced Placement Program (AP Exam)
  2. Credit by Examination
  3. College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
  4. Military Credit

Credit for Advanced Placement (AP) Tests

Porterville College recognizes high achievement by students who have successfully completed one or more Advanced Placement Examinations as authorized by the College Entrance Examination Board. Students who have successfully completed courses in the Advanced Placement Program with a score of 3, 4 or 5 may be granted credit for purposes of general education certification, graduation, advanced placement in the college's sequence courses, and for curriculum requirements. A petition may be obtained in the Office of Admissions and Records. Students may receive credit for Advanced Placement Examinations if scores are sent to Porterville College. The college will confirm the credit granted. If students choose not to receive credit for AP exams, they should inform the Office of Admissions and Records prior to registration or as soon as possible during the first semester of attendance. Please be aware that other institutions, particularly four-year colleges/universities, may evaluate your advanced placement scores and credits differently. See Advanced Placement chart in our current catalog 

Credit by Examination

Credit may be granted to any student who satisfactorily passes an examination approved by discipline faculty and conducted by a designated authority of the College. Such credit may be granted only to a student who is registered at the College and is in good standing, and only for a course listed in the College catalog. Credit by examination is not available for all courses.

  • The nature and content of the examination shall be determined solely by faculty in the discipline who normally teach the course for which credit is to be granted in accordance with procedures approved by the curriculum committee. The faculty shall determine that the examination adequately measures mastery of the course content as set forth in the outline of record.
  • A separate examination shall be conducted for each course for which credit is to be granted. Credit may be awarded for prior experience or prior learning only in the individually identified courses for which examinations are conducted.
  • The student's academic record shall be clearly annotated to reflect that credit was earned by examination.
  • Grading shall be according to the regular grading system, approved by the Board of Trustees.
  • Units for which credit is given pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not be counted in determining the twelve (12) semester hours of credit in residence required for an associate degree.
  • The District may charge the student a fee for administering the examination, but this fee shall not exceed the enrollment fee for the course for which credit by examination is to be awarded. To apply for Credit by Examination a student obtains a Credit by Examination Application form in the Office of Admissions and Records. 

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Porterville College awards credits in four general and some of the subject examinations of the College Level Examination Program. Credits may be awarded for each examination that a student completes up to the credit value in the catalog. In order to receive credit, a student must be currently enrolled at Porterville College and have completed at least 12 credits of work at Porterville College and must have the official CLEP test scores forwarded to Porterville College. It is recommended that a student see a counselor prior to registering for the exam. If the student has completed or will complete in the future any courses equivalent to those covered by the examinations, no duplication of credit will be allowed. Students should understand that some transfer institutions may reject or limit credit by examination. Students wishing to receive credit for exams must petition the Office of Admissions and Records.

Military Credit 

Porterville College may grant veterans elective credits for specific service experience and certain educational training while in the service. Evaluation of such experience and training will be made by the Office of Admissions and Records. Credit evaluations will conform to the regulations set forth by the State Approval Agency of the California State Department of Education and the recommendations of the American Council on Education. A maximum of 12 semester units will be allowed. A minimum of 12 semester units of satisfactory work must be completed at Porterville College prior to granting of credit under this program.