Safe Space logo


While KCCD district policy requires students to use their legal name for records kept within the Admissions and Records office, Porterville College is working to provide more flexibility in the use of screen names.

Affirmed Name Change Form

At this time a name change with the College is not possible unless a student has legally changed their name. However, there are a variety of ways to change your zoom and canvas display name, get a new PC Student ID card, and inform your faculty of the appropriate name and pronouns to use in class. You can request all these changes by filling out the Affirmed Name Change Form or by reviewing the following information.

To learn more about how to change your California State Identity documents, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality, or if you need assistance changing your name/gender with the state or government contact the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center’s Transgender Resources.

Canvas Display Name Change

If you would like your screen name on Canvas changed to reflect your affirmed name, please complete the Affirmed Name Change Form.

Changing your Student ID Card Name

You can also have a new PC Student ID Card printed with your affirmed name. Be sure to submit the Affirmed Name Change Form and mark if you would like to have your PC Student ID Card reprinted. The Office of Student Life will facilitate the request on behalf of the student and the student will be notified when a new card is ready for pickup.

Notice to Faculty

In order to facilitate a positive relationship with your instructor(s) and foster healthy dialogue, the Office of Student Life will be sending an email on your behalf, to all your current faculty, notifying them of your updated affirmed name and pronouns. This email is sent out as part of the Affirmed Name Change Form process. Please note, for all future semesters, you will need to communicate with your instructor(s) regarding your affirmed name and pronouns.

Zoom Display Name/Pronouns Change

Anyone can permanently add pronouns and/or change their display names:

  1. Open the Zoom app and tap the Settings icon in the upper right corner.
  2. Choose Profile.
  3. Select Edit Profile.
  4. Click Edit next to your name.
  5. Write in your pronouns after your Last Name (e.g. (she/her), (they/them)).

Also, you can add pronouns to your name in a meeting:

  1. Right-click on your name.
  2. Select Rename. (Host must enable this feature.)
  3. Enter a new screen name and OK.

Legal Name or Gender Change

The Admissions and Records Office requires legal verification. To change one’s name with the College, students are required to show two forms of Government Documentation - one government-issued picture ID and one legal document showing proof of the change. If a student legally changed their gender with their state, then proof of this gender change on their state-issued identification card can be presented. If you have further questions, please email from your PC email account to get started with this process.