High school college

Preparing for Your Education After High School


Going to college can be scary, but the right preparation can make your experience less intimidating. Students with disabilities in high school are very different than those in college. The chart below addresses some of these differences.


Topic High School College/University
Who is responsible for identifying the student and their disability? The school The student
Who/what determines the eligibility of a student for services? A multidisciplinary team Documentation from a licensed professional or medical doctor, prior records, and IEP
Who is responsible for services? Most services are provided. Some services, like tutoring, may be at student's expense.
What plan for service is needed? Individualized Education Program (IEP) Usually a letter describing accommodations from the college's office of disability Services is given to faculty with the student's approval.
What type of a learning environment is offered? Students are served with non-disabled peers to the degree possible. No 'special education' in college. Course requirements are the same for all students, however, students with disabilities may use appropriate academic accommodations.
What laws are applicable to the student? Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

Easing the Transition from High School to Porterville College


There are several steps that students with disabilities should follow to ease their transition to Porterville College.

  • Contact the Disability Resource Center to set up an appointment at 559-791-2215
  • Provide the required documentation of your disability. This information will vary by disability, situation. An IEP, 504 or letter or report from a physician that specifies a diagnosis and functional limitations is usually required.
  • Request services through the office of disability services each academic term. Know your specific needs as they relate to your disability and how your documentation supports these needs.
  • Work out specific accommodations to aid with your disability.



There are a variety of resources available to students with disabilities who plan to pursue their postsecondary education. Listed below are a few sources of information regarding the success of students with disabilities in furthering their education.

Department of Rehabilitation


  • Assists Californians with disabilities to achieve and maintain employment and independence
  • Provides rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities and makes eligibility decisions for disability benefits
  • Once you have been accepted you will:
  • Inform the Department of Rehabilitation of any disability-related expenses, such as:
  • Special equipment (related to the disability) and its maintenance.
  • Cost of services for personal use or study, such as readers, interpreters, note takers, or personal care attendants.
  • Transportation, if traditional means are not accessible.
  • Medical expenses not covered by insurance that relate directly to the individual's disability.

Students with Disabilities Preparing for Postsecondary Education


  • Know Your Rights and Responsibilities
  • Questions and answers about the transition to college

Accessible Video Transcript